Sunday, April 25, 2004

About Gep

Just wrote a comment in someone's livejournal about geps. I copied and paste the entire comment here.
Don't get offended by me guys.

Hmm After reading thru my own comment, i must say this is very lousy...

Firstly I'm xuan. Friend of hirondelle, a.yu and e.ng
This discussion is really too interesting to stay out of.


If my english is not good, well don't scream at me... I was never good in english, and being in army screws up the brain cells.

Hmm.. First i must say i resent the comment that guys are generally worse than girls... But that's not the point of this entry is it.

Okie. Being a gep, I must say a lot of what others say is definitely true. Even in dhs, many of the geppers were elitist. I'm not going to name names but think carefully the way some of us acted. I'm guilty of it too, but at least i have friends(other schools) who are in all the different stream to keep me grounded(somewhat). I know of a super talented guy who does everything well but study. Cos he just don't like books. But i tell u, If i'm gifted, he's einstein...


Going into gep means can skip rote-learning and stuff? I don't know about u, but it seems like my o-levels and stuff are the same as the rest. To score, i have to do rote-learning. There's no two ways about it.

Were we taught differently? I don't think so. At the end of the day, our exams are still the same. We learn the same syllabus. Did we learn more? NO. Did we have special quick methods to do problem sums? NO. I can tell u all frankly, I was good in maths cause my father taught me, and not our teachers and not that i knew them when i was born. Maybe language-wise, we were taught differently from others, but being a science student whose english is learned from reading books, i couldn't care less.

And u know what? It's not only those so-called non-geppers who can say u all use cheem language, come one let's face it, some of u can use vocab that blow me out of this world too. In a way it does pisses me off when u all use really rare words to express something that can be expressed in simpler terms...

Well it's easy to get slammed and flamed when we are always in one group. Look at how many of us is guilty of skipping their ccas and stuff, and basically avoiding the main-stream people?(I'm one of them.)
When people chose to stay away from u, there will definitely be some kind of us vs them kind of thing yah?

Lol, and no i have never regretted joining gep, if that's the impression i've been giving. It's not for the label and being one of the elite. It's the fact that if i've not chosen gep, i believed i would have became a school drop-out or at the very least, got into serious trouble with the school authorities. Being in gep, u get away with a lot of stuff that other people will never put up with. So long as ur results are acceptable, they never kick u out.

Am i gifted? The only thing i can say is i pick things up faster. But results-wise, i dare say i have never been one of those over-achieving b*******. I do well, but if u look at my results, u will never have expected me to be in gep.

Lastly, there's one reason why i never really like disclosing to other people that i was from gep. It's not that i'm worried about people outcasting me just because i was from a certain stream. I mean if u can't handle that. Then well Get out of my life.
I'm just pissed that when people hear GEP, they go: hey show me why u're in gep. and they expect u to perform some miraculous act.
I get this shit from my relatives no less.

Btw, u think only geppers are f***-up people? There's people i know who are out to prove that they are better than geppers. They go around sourcing for geppers and then challenging them to stupid things. Go ahead and do better than me in tests and what not. So what if ur IQ is 180 and u should be in gep cause u're smarter than me?

All this is just my opinion, so don't blame me if u didn't like what i wrote up there.

Give me a choice and i will go thru gep all over again. Although i dare say my parents will not support me this time round. They believe that being in gep have instilled in me this procrastinating behavior. I don't know if that's true or not, but it does have some grounds considering the pathetic amount of school work i actually did in sec school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home